Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sorting Out Resorts

One of the most daunting tasks you'll have to undertake when you're planning your trip to Disney World is by far choosing a hotel. Assuming you've decided to stay on property (free transportation around the parks!), you'll have 29 different resorts and villas to choose from in every price bracket. Do you go with the value hotel and save some money or do you aim for something extravagant and shell out for a deluxe resort? It really depends on how you want to vacation and what you can afford.

There are three categories your resort can fall into: Value, Moderate, and Deluxe. The names are fairly explanatory and most Disney planning sites give you the basic rundown of what to expect from each (values offer basic facilities while still being remarkably well-kept and not at all sub-par in terms of room quality while deluxes offer more sprawling, luxurious properties with fine dining restaurants and extra amenities). I've found, though, that it's the little things most sites don't tell you about that will really set one level apart from another.

My last trip to Disney World was my boyfriend V's first time to the rat trap. That was MY first time doing the planning and I never thought it would be so involved. I had to decide what we could afford and what I thought we would need in a hotel. That experience made me hash out a rough ticky-box list of resort traits to make the whole process easier. Once you figure out what resort category you should probably be looking at, you just have to pick which style of theme you like the best and what area of the property it should be in. (Tip: finding one closest to the park you're more interested in is always a good idea) Here's hoping I can pass on the useful!

For each quality, rate your view from 1 to 5 (1 being 'not at all' and 5 being 'absolutely')

My resort should:
Not have to be subject to a tight budget
Give me a space to relax and hang out in because it's not just a place for me to sleep
Offer exceptionally themed rooms
Be well-themed with a fancy lobby and resort grounds (including transport loading areas)
Have a sit-down restaurant on the property (not just a quick service station)
Have a decorative, relaxing swimming pool atmosphere
Have access to a spa or gym facility
Be catered towards more adult guests rather than young families and children

If you answered mostly 1s and 2s, you'll want to look at value resorts.
If you answered mostly 2s to 4s, you'll want to look at moderate resorts.
If you answered mostly 4s and 5s, you'll want to look at deluxe resorts.
Of course... this is all meaningless if you answered 1 to the first quality in which case you're best to examine what you can afford rather than worry about extras. Having done Disney on a tight budget, I can promise that resorts in lower categories are also tons of fun.

Now, I don't want to ramble on too long so I guess I'll call it here for today. The ticky-box list will give you the most basic traits of the resorts but if anyone is interested in the more finicky stuff let me know and I'll try to write up a bit about specific resorts or categories or something!

♥ Rhys

No comments:

Post a Comment